Thomas Erdbrink, the Washington Post correspondent in Tehran, put out these questions on Twitter overnight:
1. Where did Iranian-American Manssor Arbabsiar meet his contacts from the Quds Force of the Revolution Guards? In the US?
2. Qods boss [Qasem] Soleimani reports directly to [Ayatollah Ali] Khamenei, so has Iran's Leader ordered this scenario?
3. Why does a 56 year old Iranian from Texas think he can contact drugs cartels in Mexico without being noticed by the FBI?
4. Why would loco Mexican assassins want their hit money wired into their bank account by an Iranian? No cash?
5. What would be Iran's gain in assassinating the Saudi Ambassador to the US?
6. IRI [Islamic Republic of Iran] intelligence shuns leaving fingerprints, so why [use] loco drug assassins instead of Saudi vets of Afghan War?
7. Iran and Saudi have seen far worse times why (re)ignite tensions now?
8. What will be next? The stakes are raised now and the US will make a move against Iran --- more sanctions? Or...?
9. Suspect acted alone in US, Justice Department complaint says --- could he be making stuff up?
10. Suspect's conspirators are all "Iran-based", Justice complaint states. So how did a 56-year-old Iranian Texan contact Mexican gangs on his own?